See my original article here. I talk about the tough work environment of the animation industry.
Did you know that Japan's animation industry is in trouble?
- The average income of an animator in their 20s is 90,000 yen (approx. US$900) per month.
- Depending on the work output, a new employee's income can be as low as 30,000 yen.
- 90% of them quit in the first 3 years.
- Poverty and illness causes 90% to quit their job within 3 years.
- Japan's anime industry is in trouble.
- New talent isn't t being brought up.
- Techniques aren't being passed on to a new generation.
- Animation quality decreases.
- Japan's anime culture falls apart.
- Average annual incomes:
- Rookie animator (20-24 years old): 11,130 yen.
- Lead animator: 28,170 yen.
- Producer: 309,20 yen.
- Director: 64,860 yen.
- Average annual income outside anime industry (20-24 years old): 24,800 yen.
Pyramid of annual incomes in the anime industry:
- Lead animation director: 584,00 yen.
- Animation director: 39,300 yen.
- Lead animator: 28,200 yen.
- Animator: 11,100 yen.